Monday, September 26, 2011

The Bird is in the nest!

Saturday Sept 10th
1:30pm

Roman and I arrived HOME. The plane touched ground in Toronto carrying a grateful new mama and Canada's newest addition, Roman Henry.
My sister, Cat, was the one to greet us at the arrival gate. At my request, the rest of the welcoming committee waited at our house. They all wanted to be at the airport but I had no idea what state either of us would be in, if the flight would be on time, how long immigration would take, ect ect. Too many variables so the group waited patiently at our house.
Cat and I started out at Pearson departures earlier this summer to bring this dream to reality and today she was at the arrivals gate. My little sister was the one I needed to see when I got off that plane. We started the journey to Roman together and would have happily returned with me to Russia to bring him home had life not gotten in the way.
After a long wait in immigration, we emerged to a teary, smiling ear to ear Auntie, waiving a "Team Roman" flag and trying to video tape the moment.
We made it to the parking garage before the first bump in the road


Next a comedic struggle to get Roman into his new car seat.....
me: "Don't you know how to use this car seat?"
Cat: "Dad installed it but we didn't have a baby to test it out"
me: "Well I can't figure it out. How does this f$%king clasp work? There's nowhere to buckle it?"
Cat: "We need the manual"
me: "I left the manual in the seat"
much rustling looking for manual, Cats phone ringing constantly with people looking for our eta, Roman half asleep and a little dazed, and me at the end of my rope.
Cat: "Found the manual"
me: "I am so thirsty, is there anything to drink? Find a stainless steel sports bottle and make the assumption that there's water inside. I take a sip... oh my god not water. Something rancid, spit it out the door, so gross. Find directions to secret hidden clasp that is needed to buckle baby into his new super safe, super comfy, super slick car seat and we are off.

It's a short ride to our place from the airport so in about 15 minutes we pulled up to the door and our people poured out the door. Group hugs, tears, laughter and lots of oooing and coooing over the star of this show. Mr Roman Henry who was clinging to mama but now accustomed to waking up in a new place with new faces. Welcome to your new nest little man. Mama needs a nap.

2 comments:

Graintad said...

Congratulations on arriving home, now your new life will start for real! =D
Enjoy!

Naomi said...

Welcome Home Heather & Roman: Your posts made me laugh as I was exactly in the same situation 8 weeks ago! Time will surely fly by quickly and I cannot wait until we meet in person. Relax and have a glass of champagne!!