Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Early Fall on the streets of Moscow



Fall came early and abrutly to Arbat Street.  Apparently a memo had been sent to the locals because the moment the tempature dipped the street became a catwalk for the Russian fall fashion show.  The open toed stilletos replaced by beautiful leather high heeled boots.  The colour palettte changed overnight not unlike the changing of the leaves in Canada.

I however was not prepared and had only running shoes and sandals.  It was too cold for anything open toed so I had to do the unthinkable...........socks with my sandals.  I am surprised I was not arrested by the Russian fashion police which they must have because how else can every single person be so flawlessly fashionable?



We stayed out of the public eye and dined exclusively at Russian Wendy's and McDonalds.  Far away from the delicious meals enjoyed in Volgograd my diet now consisted of anything I could hold in one hand and push the stroller with the other.  Roman doesn't like to be in a stroller that is not moving so to keep him content I keep it in constant movement.  Roman's meals are much nicer then mine.  There is a nice grocery store where I can get organic baby food for him.  He has organic meat and veggies and mama munches on a Big Mac.  I really should have just joined his diet.

So, the three days in Moscow were mainly spent strollering the streets of Arbat Street in between rain spurts.  We did not make it to Red Square due to inclement weather and a teething toddler.  When we had to be inside we made up games in the hotel room, crawled around the halls and annoyed the hotel staff.



It was grey and crappy but there were also giggles and nights spent cuddled up in a much comfier bed then Volgograd.  The translator told me that it was very unusual for a new mom and baby to be so obviously bonded so quickly.  Her mouth dropped open and hand went to her heart when she heard Roman call me Mama.  At first I thought he was just playing with making the mamamama sound but in Moscow it became clear that he was referring to me. 



His first word is "Mama" and that shines brighter then the greyness of Moscow

1 comment:

Naomi said...

Heather: I am so glad both you and Roman arrived home safe and sound. I am anxious to hear about your stay and when you get settled hope that we will be in touch. Roman is absolutely perfect and he is going by leaps and bounds since he is showered with love and attention each and every day. Welcome to Mamahood...Talk to you soon!