Friday, September 9, 2011

Gotcha Day










Gotcha Day was yesterday four days ago but this whole new single mom in Russia has kept me a little preoccupied.  LOL
The day after gotcha day I can say is really when I felt like a mom. Sitting in a tiny bathroom on the tile floor writing this with a chocolate bar beside me (dinner) sitting against the door waiting for the sound of silence from the other side.  It's Roman's bedtime and I just put him down to sleep.  If he sees me or hears me then he will cry but he is super tired so I gotta wait it on on the tile.  I thought I should take the change to catch up my blog....

Ok Gotcha Day
It was surreal, sweet, sad, stressful and so joyous.
The day started with T. picking me up to get gifts and party supplies for the gotcha day party.  It was raining so we drove, T is a nervous driver, in case she ever reads this, I will leave it at that.  We picked up the supplies, drove to the baby home and tried to find parking, which took awhile.

We walked through the gates for the last time.  Saw the male doctor who is a bit smitten with me and gave me a few too many kisses but that's a story for another day.  We gave him and the others doctors their little gifts.  The head doctor is a little less smitten with me and I still think believes that it is because I let Roman touch the floor that he kept getting fevers.  However, when I told her that there is a diaper delivery coming soon she was very appreciative as they are very short on diapers and have to limit the babies diaper  changes to conserve them.  We saw the social worker, got the necessary paperwork and gave her one of the necklaces.  I saw her a little later wearing it which warmed my heart.  We went down the stairwell to the play room for the last time.  They were dressing him when we arrived. 

He smiled his big smile when he saw me and was clearly very excited about my arrival.  The caregivers gave me the note cards that I had left for them to write notes for Roman.  I am so grateful to have to read to him someday.  Precious words from the women that cared for him for the first thirteen months of his life.  Sacred memories of the beginning of his life story.  He was cared for, watched over carefully and loved in this place that does the very best that they can for the children in their care.

Today though, his new life begins.  I picked him up, with him in my arms said teary, grateful good byes and left the playroom for the last time.  Roman never looked back, eager to start the next phase of his life.

No comments: