Sunday, July 3, 2011

Happy Canada Day(Ish)


Baby Bird is very interested in the Canadian flag hanging from my carry on

I know it's technically not Canada Day on this exact day but I take creative licencing when I post.  One of my posts from Moscow was actually typed up as we sat on the floor of the Frankfurt airport.  Full disclosure, now you know.

I am feeling extra proud to be a Canadian after spending time away from this great country of ours.  When I think about leaving again and this time for 21 days I started thinking about what I will most most.  Now obviously, I will miss my family, friends and Canadian mutt the very most but what else?

maple syrup
Russian pancakes are a staple but they serve them with jam and  sour cream.  I will take a little bottle next time and show them the delicious topping they are missing out on.

Bacon
Man oh man do we have awesome bacon in this grand land of ours, especially dipped in a little of the item above

Toilet Paper
Eastern European toilet tissue is rough, thin and sometimes requires payment to acquire.  There is no squeezing the Charmin and you can't flush it.

Lines in the road
Took it for granted that there are always lines in the road to guide traffic.  This is not universal.

Ice
It is very challenging to get ice for your beverage.  They sometimes charge for it and serve it to you in a bowl with tongs.  Have you ever tried to pick up melting ice with a tong? 

Peacekeepers
Watching the changing of the guard at a Russian military monument was a stark contrast to seeing footage at home of our Canadian peacekeepers in their missions all over the world.   

The call of the Loon
The birds I encountered in our travels were very loud and squawky.  My mind wanders the wondrous call of the loon.


So in summary,  maple syrup, bacon, toilet paper, lines in the road, ice, Canadian Peacekeepers and the call of the loon are my quintessential Canadian must haves. 

I hope you all had a fantastic long weekend and if you are a Canuk you celebrated whatever makes you love being a Canadian!

No comments: