Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My unconventional family bed

We have a night time routine.  Roman goes to bed around 8-8:30pm usually after a bath and always after a few rounds of going up and down the flight of stairs.  He seems to need a little stair climbing before slumber, who am I to question it.  I put on his lulaby music, rock him a bit, sing a bit, then lay him in his crib.  Then Jack and I hang out in his room until he falls asleep.  Jack often nestled under his crib and me on the chair.  Once he is in dream land we leave.  When I am ready for bed, we return to Roman's room, scoop him up from the crib and transfer him into my bed.  Jack really just accompanies me for this portion though I;m sure he would help more if his puppy paws would allow.  I have a side rail now on my bed so Roman can flail and roll and not fall out.  Jack and Roman though small in size manage to take up most of the bed and I contort my limbs around them.  I get to start my day with my little man's  face as the first thing I see in the morning and Roman wakes up beaming.

This arrangement works for us.  So much better then the zombie walk I did several times a night down the hall to Roman's  room every time he woke up.  Instead of waking up to his cries, I wake up to his beaming little face and it's such a great way to start the day.  It wouldn't work if there was a man in the bed but I am not currently burdened by that obstacle..lol

Before Roman came home I had to take sleeping pills to get any sleep and I when I did sleep my dreams were often stressful and sad.  Now, my bed is occupied by a terrier and a toddler and I sleep like a baby.

2 comments:

Trisha said...

So precious.

singletracey said...

So funny because my sleep now that Vera is home is a thousand times better. I sleep solid thru the night and instead of waking at 3 I sleep in til 6 or 7. I'm a morning person so imlike being up and at em, but 2 or 3 am was not cool! Hugs to you and Roman!!