Sunday, August 21, 2011

Bypassing Denmark



My travel agency called on Thursday to say there was trouble with my planned flight to Copenhagen.  Scandinavian Airlines and Air Canada don't work together so my ticket can't be issued.  The only other alternative on that date was to fly through Germany and it has a 4 and a half hour layover.  Snubbed by Denmark, and Germany would leave me waiting for many hours.  I wasn't happy with either option.

I remembered that the illusive direct flight from Toronto-Moscow leaves on Saturday's and Wednesday's.  What if I left a few days earlier and left Saturday on the direct?  Was that a possibility?  Indeed it was.  Sometimes you just have to ask and explore all the alternatives and then the right path appears and everything aligns   My travel agent was able to get me a seat on the direct and able to book me on the in country flight without the Moscow layover.  Those of you who have done this journey know what a relief that is.  I get to see Baby Bird two days earlier and will bring him back on a direct flight after a stop in Moscow.

When that flight will be is still up in the air.
The latest would be Sept 21st.  The earliest would be Sept 10th.  What I am predicting it will be is Sept 17th.
It depends on if the judge waives any of the 10 day wait period and if I can get his passport in Moscow in one day and not have to wait out the weekend in Moscow then wait for the next direct flight several days later.

What I do know is that I am returning to Russia and will be reunited with Baby Bird in a week today.  That is all that really matters.  I have to do lists for my to do lists and it's a mad scramble to finish his room, get his baby gear, pack, plan, paperwork and all the other zillion details to get ready to leave. It will all happen.

Flight change life lesson- once Denmark was removed as an option the possibilities opened up and the journey that was meant to be unfolded. What seemed like an obstacle turned out to be the marker to try a different route and a much better itinerary was revealed.

Goodbye Denmark and Hello Russia.

1 comment:

Bowen's Russian adoption said...

Congrats on your court date.I hope you gave safe travels.