Tuesday, August 9, 2011

С Днем Рождения

Birthday Party at the Baby Home

С Днем Рождения
Look what came in my inbox this afternoon.  I have been obsessively checking my e-mail since Saturday and I don't have a smartphone so that means literally revving up our old school desktop computer to check at home over the weekend.  I may have worn out the refresh button.  I have been sending desperate emails to my translator/angel in Russia (I'll call her T.) who had promised to go to the orphanage on Roman's birthday then send me a picture.  We had left him a package of toys and some funds for a cake and party with the Caregivers on our last day with him and were assured that they would celebrate his big day, but since that day the messages to Russia have gone unanswered.  We are 8 hours ahead of Russia so I wasn't to the point of desperation until Sunday when his birthday in Russian time had come and went without a word from the other side of the world.

Then on Sunday evening an email came in but it was news that our contacts had gone away for the weekend so they could not visit the orphanage but maybe soon they would go and send a picture.  I was crushed. Would T. go?  When?  Is he ok?  Did they have a party? Did everyone forget his birthday?  Would she keep her promise?

She did.  She could not be there in person on his birthday so she asked a caregiver friend to take photos of the party for us.  Then she went herself to the orphanage today to give him a kiss for me and take a few more pictures.  I can't share his little Baby Face but I can tell you that he's his charming self. He looks longer, little less babyish and growing fast.  Smiling and giggling and now that grin includes four teeth!

If you look closely at the picture you will see that his cake is decorated with...... you got it........birds!!!



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Baby Bird!

kristina proffitt said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet boy, Heather! :)

Melissa said...

Oh Heather that's so exciting!
I can't wait to meet your little man!
I'm seeing Angela on Tuesday so I'm going to leave something with her for ya!

PS: I'm loving the new format for your blog :)

Melissa said...

Aw that's so exciting Heather!
I can't wait to meet your little man!
I'm going to see Angela on Tuesday and I'm leaving something with her for ya!

PS: I'm loving the new format/background! Looks great :)