Monday, January 24, 2011

Are the birds in the nest?



"Are the birds in the nest?" For as long as I can remember my Dad has used this question to determine if his girls are safe. He checks in with my sister and I regularly to make sure that we are in our "nests" wherever that might be. We might be out of the country or just down the street but Mom and Dad always need to know that we are safe and sound and this became code for our well being. I asked Dad why he calls us his birdies and he said something like this...

"Chickadee, the most important part of parenting is to make sure your chicks don't fall out of the nest.... the wee one's wander and wiggle and get precariously close to falling out. It's a parent's job to have a hand out to catch them before they fall too far, scoop you up and put you safely back in the nest"

I am one lucky chick

No comments: