Friday, March 18, 2011

Seeing adoption through a bifocal lens



I just read this article by one of my favourite authors and speakers Karen Salmansohn. I think her advice connects with those of us on the adoption journey. We are constantly living through the short and long term flux and at times Flux Sucks. Karen talks about the hard timeline of nine months for a pregnant mom but for all of us paper pregnant moms our pregnancy can last years. The points in our field of vision are constantly "in flux" but we are united in our long term vision. One day in the future we will bring home our little one forever.

Karen says
A long-term lens will help you keep your eye on the prize of your ultimate goals of happiness and fulfillment, while a short-term lens will help you keep your eyes on your feet so you don't get tripped up by fear.

What can I do to keep a rose coloured hue on my short term lens before the big news arrives? I will take Karen's advice and focus on what makes me happy. I've had a bit of an identity struggle accompany the change to single status but it's guided me take a look around my world and into myself and notice what lights up my solo life.
Here's some happy stuff that I can focus on .... opportunities to dance, move, and groove, play music that moves me, take pictures that capture joy, hug more, play with Jack, drink good coffee, connect, breathe, feed my body with what makes it feel good and try new recipes to share with friends, read inspirtational words and wear spring colours.
When it rains I'll put on my funky rainboots on my feet so fear won't stand a chance of tripping me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's so good to see you moving forward and inward. I imagine it as an ascending spiral. Life is cyclical, and progress and growth is always available through the experiences we are presented with. We are not passive in the least - our responses speak volumes about where we are on our path. And in my personal experience, and it seems now too, in yours, that the most real and valuable thing there is, is Now. So relish it! Skip about in your funky rain boots, and move and groove through life with a great coffee in one hand and fab girlfriend in the other! XOXOXOXO